How to prepare for your first treatment
- Download the four documents on the right, fill them out, and bring them in to your appointment.
- On the day of your appointment, be sure not to brush your tongue. The presence or absence of coating on your tongue is crucial to determine your Chinese medical diagnosis. You may brush your teeth, though!
- Wear comfortable clothing that is loose and easy to access above the knee and elbow. You will be lying down on a massage table for about 45 minutes, so wear your favorite sweats, PJs or yoga clothes.
- It’s important to eat a good meal before your appointment. In Chinese medicine we receive energy or Qi (“chee”) from our food. And when needles are inserted into your body, the practitioner is moving your Qi. As we say in the biz, “It takes Qi to move Qi.”
- Immortal Palace is located at 8120 Sheridan Boulevard, A-303, Westminster, CO 80003. On the southeast corner of 81st and Sheridan Boulevard, right across the street from 24-Hour Fitness. There is a parking lot with ample parking, and Immortal Palace is located in Building A.
- Click here to join the Immortal Palace mailing list and you will get instant access to my free bonus video, Give Yourself a Full Body Massage in 30 Seconds and Four Other Ways to Instantly Relieve Stress and Anxiety. I made it just for you, enjoy!
What to expect during your treatment
- First we will sit and talk for 45 minutes or so where I will ask you about your chief complaint, medical history, diet, exercise, digestion, sleep, and menstrual cycle, among other things.
- Next, you will lie down on the massage table where I will look at your tongue and take your pulses. (Yes, pulses, plural. In Chinese medicine there are nine pulses on each wrist!)
- Then you will get a little dab of lavender essential oil under your nose and listen to soothing music (you’re welcome to bring your own CD if you like!) while I insert the needles. And to answer your burning question, no, the needles do not hurt. There may be a slightly uncomfortable sensation at first — like a pinching, burning, or aching — but it quickly dissipates and the overall feeling is complete and total relaxation. Most patients fall asleep during their session. And don’t worry about snoring, I take it as a compliment! Once the needles are in, I will position a heat lamp on your feet, and adjust the heating pad to your liking. It’s like being back in the womb.
- After 30 minutes of resting, I will come in, turn on the lights, and remove the needles. Sometimes I will perform additional therapies if necessary like moxibustion (heat therapy), cupping (suction therapy), electrical-stimulation, among others. These will be explained to you beforehand. Then you will take your time getting up, getting your shoes on, and coming back to planet earth.
- Afterwards, we will discuss in-depth dietary and lifestyle recommendations, I will prescribe an herbal formula and/or nutritional supplements, take payment and schedule your next appointment. I will also email you with any additional information from your session.
- Then you will float out to your car feeling the best you have felt in a very long time.
What to expect after your treatment
- After your treatment, you may feel more emotional than usual. This is normal. We all store emotions in our body — which many times cause the pain or ailment from which we are suffering — so, whenever you have body work done (like acupuncture) it can release these blockages, these stuck emotions. It’s a good idea to express them and let them go. Journaling is a great way to purge old emotions. Write them down and dispose of it. (Or recycle it.)
- You may also experience a brief time period — a day or so — where your symptoms get a little worse before they go away completely or improve greatly. This is also normal.
- Another common experience after a treatment is the feeling of extreme relaxation and euphoria. Make sure to schedule time after your appointment to rest and enjoy the after-effects. 🙂